10 Fascinating Facts About the Human Brain
Scientists have devoted their lives to learning how the brain works. Here are some fascinating facts that you probably did not know about your brain.
1. The human brain is made up of about 75% water. Brain tissue actually have the consistency of a tofu.
2. Your brain consists of about 100 billion neurons and they can generate about 25 watts of power at any given time. It could power a light bulb.
3. There are anywhere between 1,000 to 10,000 synapses for each neuron and information can go in between parts of your brain at a speed of 260mph.
4. Human brain has no pain receptors, so the brain can feel no pain. That’s the reason why doctors can perform brain surgery on conscious patients.
5. Studies show that brain waves are more active while dreaming than when you are awake and some people (about 12 percent) dream only in black and white while others dream in color.
6. You cannot tickle yourself because your brain distinguishes between unexpected external touch and your own touch.
7. Humans blink about 20,000 times a day and each time we blink, our brain kicks in and keeps things illuminated so the whole world doesn’t go dark each time we blink.
8. Laughing is not joke because laughing requires at least activity in five different areas of the brain.
9. Ever noticed that you yawned after someone around.. you did? Yes!!! Yawns are contagious. Scientists believe this may be a response to an ancient social behavior for communication that humans still have.
10. Albert Einstein’s brain was similar in size to other humans except in the region that is responsible for math and spatial perception. In that region, his brain was 35% wider than average.